[plt-scheme] Some thoughts about GC and realtime aplications

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri May 19 08:23:13 EDT 2006

This is not a response but an encouragement:

- Scheme has been used to control Disney rides in Florida, which are as
intensive as games I assume;
- a variant of Scheme has been used to control a real-time application
for the military, whose identity I can't disclose;
- some OCAML guys have done real games (DOOM?), also with GC.

It is common that developers figure out for which region it is critical
not to have GC and then disable it, roughly consistent with the idea
that you propose. I don't think, however, people turn off GC for as
long as what you call a level. Then again, I don't play games so what
do I know :-)

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.