[plt-scheme] On PLaneT packages and compatible upgrades

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed May 10 12:21:59 EDT 2006

On May 10, 2006, at 11:23 AM, Jacob Matthews wrote:

> I'm not a big fan of this proposal --- programmer-run wizards to
> generate wrappers strike me as a red flag. Here's a counterproposal
> that seems simpler to me:

Sure. One minor thing: I consider your proposal an elaboration of
mine/Matthew's. The "interface extraction" and "ruling out superfluous
names behind the scenes" sounds like .. a programmer-run wizard to
generate .. interfaces and .. wrappers behind the scenes. The
difference is that you are the only programmer in this picture, with
power-users thrown in later.

-- Matthias

> 1. Adding exports to a program remains a compatible upgrade. When a
> package author submits an upgraded package, the PLaneT server
> automatically extracts an "interface file" that contains the package's
> directory structure, and for each Scheme module in that directory
> structure its list of provided names. It checks this interface file
> against the interface file for the old version of the package and
> makes sure that the new one is a proper superset of the old (i.e. it
> has all the files and directories the old one had, and for each module
> the new version provides a superset of the names the old one
> provided).
>
> 2. When mzscheme encounters a
>   (require (planet "file.ss" ("owner" "pkg.plt" maj min)))
> for the first time, it fetches the interface file for ("owner"
> "pkg.plt" maj min) [or more generally the smallest number that the
> package specifier could match] from the PLaneT server. Then it
> downloads and installs some matching package as normal. However, when
> the loading is complete, it only binds the names listed for the file
> in the interface file --- even if the loaded module provides `foo',
> the client doesn't have `foo' bound unless `foo' is in the interface
> for the package the client thought it was receiving.
>
> What I like about this proposal is that both package authors and
> package consumers can basically ignore it and things will work the
> same way they work right now, but with Richard's bug ruled out. No
> special tools needed, no separating anything out into interface versus
> implementation files, no requiring major version shifts just to
> provide an extra function, but this problem is ruled out behind the
> scenes. Generally I want to keep PLaneT as lightweight as possible for
> both package producers and package producers, so I favor an approach
> that works automatically in good cases over one that doesn't.
>
> A somewhat nice side benefit is that I could allow "power users" to
> write their own interface files and use those instead of the
> automatically-generated ones.  This would let a programmer separate
> out a package's interface from its implementation in a nicer way than
> just creating a directory called "private" and hoping nobody starts
> relying on individual files in there.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -jacob

Posted on the users mailing list.