[plt-scheme] Google SC and PLT

From: Bill Clementson (billclem at gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 9 10:23:39 EDT 2006

On May  6, John Clements wrote:

> On May 6, 2006, at 3:03 AM, Paulo J. Matos wrote:
>
> > How come have they been interested in LispNYC? Is LispNYC that
> > well known?
>
> That's an excellent question, and the next time I apply on PLT's
> behalf I'll try to get in touch with others that have succeeded,
> first.  :)

FWIW, Kenny Tilton (of LispNYC) has indicated that LispNYC has asked
for Lisp community input/feedback on the SOC submissions, so you don't
have to be a member of LispNYC in order to take part in their SOC
process (whether as a potential mentor or just someone who wants to
provide input into the ranking of proposals). If you want to get
involved, the first step would probably be to join their mailing list
(http://www.lispnyc.org:8080/mailman/listinfo/lisp). Alternatively, if
you're in NYC, LispNYC is having their monthly meeting tonight:

"Please join us for our next meeting on Tuesday, May 9th from 7:00 to
9:00 at Trinity Lutheran Church.

Peter Seibel presents: "Practical Common Lisp"

    "Should we vacation in Bali or Monaco?"  ....is the query
    put forth to Miss September.  "Well Peter," she says with
    perfect lips "Bali has better food, but Monaco has the
    'Sushi-Girl Backrub Team'".

Indeed life can be a chore, for these are the daily tortures of the
Productivity Winners of the 16th Annual Jolt Product Excellence Award in
Technical Books!

    Miss September giggles: "What were you thinking when you
    decided to write a book on Lisp ...in 2005?"

    "I wasn't thinking that it would be the #1 top selling Lisp
    book on Amazon."

    "Nor was I thinking that it would go as high as #2 in the
    Languages & Tools category, #4 in Programming, #11 in
    Computers & Internet, and #543 in all books."

    "I also wasn't thinking that Apress would have to do a 2nd
    printing, they were really grumpy about that."

    "...and I never dreamed I'd have such a deep appreciation
    for backrubs and Balinese food."

Peter Seibel is an ex-Java programmer who quit his job to buckle down
and finally learn Lisp, shortly thereafter he completed "Practical
Common Lisp".  Having finished the book, Peter is now available for
consulting projects--Lisp and otherwise--as the chief monkey of
Gigamonkeys Consulting.  He is currently serving on he Board of
Directors of the Association of Lisp Users."

--
Bill Clementson