[plt-scheme] Re: Scheme contradictions

From: Srikumar Subramanian (srikumarks at mac.com)
Date: Tue May 9 04:45:22 EDT 2006

Another scheme newbie speaking ...

I wonder if those who're disturbed by parens ever experiment
with custom syntax highlighting in DrScheme.

I set lambda, define and such keywords to show up
in bold black and I set parentheses to be colored a very
light grey.

I now find it easy to mentally switch between
"I'm reading code" and "I'm digging into code" modes.
The sexpr block highlighting in DrScheme works so well
with this that I never lose track of structure in digger
mode (never did) and am not disturbed by parentheses when
reading code (used to be). Lisp code actually looks
beautiful!

As an extreme case, try setting the parentheses color to
white :) The subtle but systematic white space (what used to be
parens) quite nicely shows enough structure for eyeballing
code.

-Srikumar

PS: My previous posting failed. I'm trying again. Please pardon
duplicate email.

Posted on the users mailing list.