[plt-scheme] Unable to run the 103p1 version on SuSE 10

From: Jean-Baka Domelevo-Entfellner (domelevo at gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 5 09:26:55 EDT 2006

Hi Matthew (and you all),
I can now provide you with accurate answers. I'm now standing in front
of the SuSE machine, still highly reluctant to help :-(

I have followed three steps :
1) first of all, put symbolic links from /usr/bin/gcc and /usr/bin/c++
to their 3.3.6 counterparts, so that it's transparent to any software
: I'm now using only those old versions, for all the tree to be
compiled.
2) In the src/ main directory, I do a "./configure --enable-sgc" to
use SenoraGC instead of Boehm.
3) remove all the -O2 args from <builddir>/mzscheme/src/Makefile and
from the Makefile that is located directly in <builddir>/mzscheme/.
4) make. There I have to fix two minor things : in
wxxt/src/XWidgets/xwMenu.c, remove the "##" from three "#define", and
then in wxxt/src/GDI-Classes/Colour.h, put some "friend class xx"
instead of "friend xx".
5) then it's OK, everything makes perfectly, I can "make install".

BUT then, as soon as I run any binary file, I get a segfault at the
very beginning :
------------------------ shell quotation ---------------------------------
admin08:/usr/local/plt103p1_secondessai/plt/src/mzscheme # uname -a
Linux admin08 2.6.13-15-default #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

admin08:/usr/local/plt103p1_secondessai/plt/src/mzscheme # ./mzscheme
Welcome to MzScheme version 103 (sgc), Copyright (c) 1995-2000 PLT
(Matthew Flatt)
Erreur de segmentation
------------------------ end of shell quotation
---------------------------------

OK, you have it in French version, but it's quite understandable, uh?
So the story goes on, and if you have other ideas it will be my
pleasure to help...

Thanks again.

JB

On 4/28/06, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> At Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:24:41 +0200, "Jean-Baka Domelevo-Entfellner" wrote:
> > I had compiled it on Fedora Core with an old gcc (3.2), to avoid too
> > many error messages you get using 4.x flavours. On my SuSE platform, I
> > do not have such an old compiler, but I have access to a 3.3.6, which
> > I used to compile some parts of the software (meaning "some
> > directories"). Problems arise particularly in the wxxt subdirectory,
> > because of some obsolete syntax. So the compiling process is somewhat
> > untidy, but at the end I got it all compiled.
> > And even if I could do more uniform a compilation (same version of gcc
> > for all, same options), in my mind as soon as you compile it all
> > without errors, the sofware should work, uh?
>
> Sorry - I'm a bit unclear on the conclusions.
>
> I think you're using versions 4.x and 3.3.6 of the compiler, and
> specifically version 4.x for the MzScheme part. If that's right, I
> wonder whether using 3.3.6 for the MzScheme part would help.
>
> Also, it's not clear to me whether you tried removing -O2 from the
> makefile in <builddir>/mzscheme/src/Makefile, and whether that helped.
>
> > P.S. How do you know the -O2 option is unsupported ? Can't this be
> > removed by the configuree process ?
>
> Removing -O2 might work around old code with bad aliasing (where "bad"
> means "aliasing that the C99 specification says a compiler can
> ignore"). Really, it's the -fstrict-aliasing part of -O2 that I think
> it may be helpful to remove. Having -O2 imply -fstrict-aliasing is a
> relatively new feature of gcc.
>
> At the time that v103p1 was created and packaged, removing -O2 was not
> necessary or helpful, so that's why `configure' didn't remove it. Of
> course, I'm still not sure whether it helps, but let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.