[plt-scheme] Version incompatibilities in PLaneT packages

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 18:09:55 EST 2006

On 3/21/06, Jacob Matthews <jacobm at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> The problem with that approach is that a library might work with a
> resource that it can't have two of no matter how many different copies
> of it exist. For instance you could make a library that kept a flat file
> database somewhere; if two copies of your library are running at all
> they'll step on each other's toes, and there's nothing planet can do
> about that no matter what it does short of creating two completely
> separate sandboxes. Extra copies of the library won't help.

Well, my initial "non-solution" would be to tell the writers of those
libraries to put locks on those resources; after all, there's nothing
to stop someone from running two DrScheme processes and running into
the same problem without triggering the planet module check.

So far Jacob and I have suggested configuring this on a per-module
basis.  I would personally prefer to see "version cohabitation OK" as
the default in that system, but that's a topic for discussion.  Any
other thoughts on a solution that addresses both problems?

--
Carl Eastlund
"Cynical, but technically correct."