[plt-scheme] 3rd-8th Grade

From: Richard Cleis (rcleis at mac.com)
Date: Sat Mar 18 12:33:02 EST 2006

I dropped in on the fifth meeting of a robot club for children in
grades 3 through 8.  The Robots were made from Lego kits and the task
was to remove toxic waste barrels (soup cans) from a warehouse (a 4
foot circle).  The programs were 'written' with drag-drop icons and
transferred to the independent robots.

It was very encouraging to see how well the children could change the
designs to eventually make a successful machine.  It was also
illuminating to see them blame the software for everything, just like
in an adult laboratory.

I wonder, though, about the 100% drag-drop programming.  I am neither a
father nor an educator, so I am asking those who are: shouldn't the
children at least see some words that cause the movements, if not be
encouraged to type a few?

rac

Posted on the users mailing list.