[plt-scheme] Setting Breakpoints

From: Gregory Cooper (greg at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 2 09:34:38 EST 2006

Hi,

Sorry for not responding sooner.  The sad state of the debugger is
entirely my fault.  Unfortunately, I probably won't get to this for at
least a month, but maybe sometime in April...  Thanks for your
patience.

In the mean time, are you sure you wouldn't be interested in trying
out the MzTake collection?  It allows you to specify breakpoints in a
separate script module, using syntax patterns that are robust to most
edits.

Greg

> Hi everyone- I'm trying to figure out the tricks to getting the most out
> of the debugger in DrScheme (The one initiated by hitting the
> "Debug" button
> on the toolbar, not one of the other incarnations) One
> of the few weak areas
> in the otherwise excellent DrScheme...
>
> The most frustrating thing for me
> is that it loses breakpoints when the
> program is restarted and it is difficult
> to place breakpoints at all in
> many cases (if the current stopping point
> is not in the same toplevel
> expression as the place you want to set the breakpoint
> at)
>
> The docs seem pretty skimpy on this feature (probably because it is
> rather new) so I was wondering if anyone has found out any useful tips
> for making breakpoints easier to work with.
>
> For instance, is there a way to
> trigger a break programatically? I
> found out a hack that works which is to
> insert a (read) at the desired
> location, then hit the pause button on the
> toolbar when it is hit-
> surely there is a more proper way to accomplish this?
>
> Thanks for any tips!
>
> -Conrad Barski, M.D.

Posted on the users mailing list.