[plt-scheme] Vancouver Lisp Users Group meeting for June - MOP Retrospective

From: Bill Clementson (billclem at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 21 18:25:19 EDT 2006

Hi all,

A terrific meeting topic and speaker for June:

Topic: MOP Retrospective
Presenter: Gregor Kiczales
Date: Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Time: 7pm - 10pm (or whenever)
Venue: Think!, 4512 West 10th Ave., Vancouver

    "A metaobject protocol (MOP) is an interpreter of the semantics of
a program that is open and extensible. Therefore, a MOP determines
what a program means and what its behavior is, and it is extensible in
that a programmer (or meta-programmer) can alter the program's
behavior by extending pieces of the MOP. The MOP exposes some or all
internal structure of the interpreter to the programmer. The MOP may
manifest as a set of classes and methods that allow a program to
inspect the state of the supporting system and alter its behaviour.
MOPs are implemented as object-oriented programs where all objects are
metaobjects."

The most widely-known MOP (although not the only one) is the one
defined for CLOS by Gregor Kiczales and documented in his excellent
book The Art of the Metaobject Protocol (portions of which are
available online). The Vancouver Lisp Users Group (aka lispvan) will
receive a unique insight into the MOP at this month's meeting. Gregor
Kiczales, will attend the meeting and there will be a discussion and
Q&A session on the MOP.

Come to the meeting and find out some of the original design decisions
that went into creating the MOP, what Gregor thinks was done right,
what he thinks could have been done differently, and anything else you
ever wanted to know about the MOP! If you are unable to attend, please
feel free to send me any questions that you might have regarding the
MOP and I will ask Gregor your questions at the meeting. I will
attempt to either record or transcribe the Q&A session.

--
Bill Clementson