[plt-scheme] Re: Appalling performance of DrScheme on Windows

From: Srikumar Subramanian (srikumarks at mac.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 22:53:01 EDT 2006

I've had both Matthias's experience as well that of wooks
et al. Continuous use of DrScheme gives good response, except
maybe an occasional pause from what feels like a gc.
If I occasionally touch DrScheme, but keep an instance
running all the time, then I experience the wooks-style hangs.

I doubt if plt gurus such as Matthias ever let DrScheme
run idle :)

I've run DrScheme on several machine configs with similar
results.

- 3+GHz dual core Pentium + 512MB + Windows XP home
- 3+GHz 64-bit Pentium + 1GB + Windows XP 64-bit
- PowerBook G4 666MHz + 512MB + Tiger

BTW, is it just my perception or does DrScheme v350
run noticeably zippier than earlier versions? If its the
JIT working, woooo hoooo!

Cheers,
-Srikumar

Posted on the users mailing list.