[plt-scheme] testing modules

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 6 08:02:40 EDT 2006

--- Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> The HtDP style of testing is natural for FP and students
> who haven't programmed before. It gets them into the
> habit
> of testing and, at least here, they push up-stream
> instructors
> if they don't tell them how to test. There is nothing
> bogus about teaching testing from day 1 with this style.

Agreed.  My point, which perhaps I should have either
elaborated or elided, is that this sort of testing doesn't
scale.  When tests are values, as in SchemeUnit, I can
compose test suites into larger suites, and I can choose
how they are evaluated (perhaps I write the results to a
database, or a web page).  This is at the cost of more
effort on startup (I have Emacs macros that generate 2
files solely for testing purposes for each project I
write).  HtDP style doesn't scale like SchemeUnit style,
but has a lower startup cost.  For teaching, when students
are working on the small scale (~1 file), HtDP style is the
right choice.  For other contexts the right choice may be
different.

N.

AIM: noelhwelsh
Blogs: http://monospaced.blogspot.com/  http://www.untyped.com/untyping/