[plt-scheme] xxx chooses MzScheme as preferred language

From: mvanier (mvanier at cs.caltech.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 3 23:45:28 EDT 2006

Ed,

I agree with all your points, but you've omitted one that is relevant to PLT
Scheme and Scheme in general: a lot of programmers simply detest parenthesized
syntax on first glance.  Choosing programming languages is a bit like choosing a
mate: if the first impression is negative, the person gives up and looks
elsewhere.  I remember reading once that Standard ML had suffered a lot because
unary minus is "~" instead of "-".  I have a researcher friend who gave up on
Ocaml because it ends expressions in double semicolons (which actually is only
needed when used interactively, but he never got far enough to find that out).

I've heard that the PLT folks are working on a more "conventional" syntax (which
looks javascript-ish to me).  I think this is a Very Good Thing, not because I'm
in love with conventional syntax, but because it softens the barrier to entry.
After programmers use the conventional syntax for a couple of years, they will
probably start to realize that the more uniform standard Scheme syntax is
superior in many ways, and by then they're part of the community.  Or maybe
they'll stick with the conventional syntax -- so what?  They're using a
garbage-collected language with higher-order functions, macros, built-in support
for lists, continuations, etc.  I would certainly rather hack on a
conventionally-syntaxed Scheme than a conventionally-syntaxed <insert any lame
popular scripting language>.

Mike