[plt-scheme] xxx chooses MzScheme as preferred language

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 2 23:26:53 EDT 2006

On Jun 2, 2006, at 12:34 AM, Abdulaziz Ghuloum wrote:

> Which restaurant serves the *most delicious* food?
>
> Which restaurant is the *most popular*? (i.e. serving most cows per
> capita)

Interesting comparison, but I find it misleading. Here is how
I and I think most of us are thinking of it:

* Are Schumacher and his car the best engineered and fastest race car
team?

* Is it as good for family travel as a Lexus with built-in navigation?

[I intentionally rewrote the questions not to parallel yours and Joe's.]

> What remains is perhaps less than 1% of the Schemers who do care about
> performance because their applications demand it.  To be popular, you
> better focus your effort on catering to the needs of 99% of users.  The
> other 1% can use whatever other implementation/language with negligible
> overall effect on PLT's popularity.

I think your analysis is completely correct and completely wrong at
the same time. A moment's thought about my re-formulation will clarify
why. But I understand where you in Indiana stand and sit. I was there
too.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.