[plt-scheme] only 2 simple questions

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 23 03:55:05 EST 2006

--- "David T. Pierson" <dtp at mindstory.com> wrote:

> Am I just dreaming if I think industry usage of Scheme is
> restricted more by lack of awareness rather than lack of
practical
> applications? (where "awareness" includes exposure,
education,
> experience, etc.)

I agree, but there are two caveats:

1. If you're going to use Scheme in industry you're
probably going to have to write a lot of libraries that
more widely used languages already have (this is the
'Pioneer Tax'; clearly the tax decreases over time).  Many
people don't see this tax as worth paying.

2. If you're not working for yourself you often don't get
to choose your language.

Both issues hinder bootstrapping of industry applications
of Scheme.

Cheers,
Noel

AIM: noelhwelsh