[plt-scheme] only 2 simple questions

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 20 10:35:41 EST 2006

--- arnuld fraser <arnuld3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Q: should i start SCHEME, LISP (& if LISP then which
> LISP) or RUBY?

Scheme is more fundamental that either Common Lisp or Ruby.
 Hence if you learn Scheme you'll more reusable ideas, and
less programming language specific noise.

> Q; which books (for RUBY i already have the answer)?

Matthias has answered that well.

> someone who wishes to use scheme as a tool will need to
> read additional material--

Yes.  The Scheme Cookbook is an attempt to fill that void.
Clearly we have a long way to go, but I believe it is still
useful -- and will get better the more people contribute.

> 3.  3rd reason is i want to start working on
> software-projects as soon as possible

Well, if you want a job as a programmer neither Scheme,
Lisp, or Ruby are particularly good choices.  There are
many more Python jobs than Ruby jobs, and many many more
Java and C# jobs than Python jobs.

You have to decide: do you want to learn fundamentals that
are always useful, or do you want to learn skills that are
good for employment now but have little long term value?

At this stage I'd concentrate on fundamentals.  Employers
don't expect new graduates to know everything -- they look
for intelligence and good basic understanding.  Good
knowledge of the fundamentals also makes it easier to pick
up the other things later.  You can learn Java in a week
(or less) if you understand programming language basics.

> he asked me if i want to have any more books

For the kind of things I think you are interested in, books
aren't necessary.  There are many good online tutorials on
pretty much every topic to do with programming.

N.

AIM: noelhwelsh
Blogs: http://monospaced.blogspot.com/  http://www.untyped.com/untyping/