[plt-scheme] There is a common theme here -- really

From: Matt Jadud (mcj4 at kent.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 13 17:33:36 EST 2006

Greg Woodhouse wrote:

> - Beyond that, I've generally specialized in systems exhibiting a high
> degree of concurrency, and this is a basic feature of VistA, the EHR
> system for which I've been a developer these last 15 years. Does that
> fit with FP? I didn't think so at first, but am certainly intrigued by
> the web server.

It absolutely fits with FP. In fact, parallelism is much easier in a
strictly functional environment.

See

http://haskell.readscheme.org/para_conc.html
and
http://library.readscheme.org/page9.html

for starting points/inspiration. You can check out most anything about
Erlang as well.

> So I hope that you don't mind my sometimes importunate, sometimes
> exasperating questions too much. I hope that it won't be too long
> before I can start giving back.

Actually, I think questions are just as good as answers. But I know the
feeling.