[plt-scheme] Context-specific namespaces

From: Lauri Alanko (la at iki.fi)
Date: Tue Jan 10 21:05:00 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 04:42:05AM -0700, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> Yes. I've often sometimes wondered whether multiple namespaces (within
> a phase) would be better --- especially in the context of the lexer's
> regexp-operator bindings. Each time, though, the benefit didn't seem
> enough to depart from Scheme's single-namespace culture/expectation.

I'm not sure if such an expectation really exists. For instance, the
method names in the class.ss object system (when used as arguments to
"send") effectively have their own namespace, yet no one seems to find
this confusing. Of course here the reason is that the method names are
only resolved at run-time, but that is an implementation issue: as far
as the user is concerned, the method argument to the (send obj method
...) form is just an unadorned identifier.

Lauri

Posted on the users mailing list.