[plt-scheme] v300 on NetBSD

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 10 06:41:41 EST 2006

At Mon, 09 Jan 2006 15:18:58 -0500, Jed Davis wrote:
> I'm encountering, while building v300 on NetBSD/i386 2.0, what looks
> like the same hang that reported here earlier with OpenBSD.  The cause
> of the slowness is swapping; the mzscheme process seems to be
> allocating an unbounded amount of memory -- or at least it didn't stop
> before it got to 1GB when I let it run overnight -- and is spending
> most of its time being paged in/out (and thus with its context in
> biowait via the page fault handler) rather than making progress.

Thanks!

For OpenBSD, we know that the problem happens in the parser-tool's
lexer's DFA-building loop while compiling "yacc-to-scheme.ss". We don't
yet know why that loop fails to terminate on OpenBSD (accumulating an
ever larger result); it terminates quickly on other platforms. We're
still looking into it.

> 2.0 on i386 has non-executable stacks by default; could that be
> related somehow?

I don't think so. MzScheme is even compatible with propolice, as far as
I can tell.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.