[plt-scheme] Announce: SQLI/SQLD PLaneT package

From: Dave Herman (dherman at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 9 11:17:49 EST 2006

> Yes I've thought about that. But this would result in 6 PLanET packages:

The more PLaneT packages the merrier! There's nothing wrong with lots of
packages.

> SQLI, SQLD-SQLite, SQLD-Psql, SQLD-MySQL, SQLD-Oracle and SQLD-DB2.

If you feel squeamish about having too many packages to clutter PLaneT,
you should feel extra squeamish about forcing every user of any database
to automatically download every driver. Overpacking a single library
doesn't scale up.

> Wouldn't this be a problem?

I don't think so. If you're worried about a package having hidden
dependencies, give it good and useful runtime errors so that the very
first time the developer tries to do anything, they see a message
telling them exactly what they need to do, e.g.:

Error: you need to require a PLaneT package containing the SQLD driver
for your database. See <http://foo> for more information.

Dave

Posted on the users mailing list.