[plt-scheme] PLT versions

From: Matt Jadud (mcj4 at kent.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 2 23:09:58 EST 2006

1. Installing multiple versions on OSX

I found at various times that the PLT installer refused to let me
install multiple versions. A solution that seems to work is to reach into

/Library/Receipts

and remove all of the receipts pertaining to PLT Scheme; I believe these
will be the receipts for the MzScheme and MrEd frameworks, in
particular. Given that the PLT installer actually takes care not to
overwrite any previous versions, these artifacts of the OSX installation
process are not (I don't believe) critical to the operation of
Mz/DrScheme on your machine.

I currently have 209, several versions of 299.X, and 300 installed from
the binary installers; the conflicts are generally minimal, although the
Help Desk was occasionally wonky in the middle of those versions---for
reasons I never really cared to understand or explore.

2. The transition from v209 to v300 was significant; there have been
changes throughout the language. MrEdDesigner most likely suffers from
differences in the class system and how strings are handled; that's an
off-the-cuff guess based on having looked at the code many moons ago.

Hope that helps a bit.