[plt-scheme] new version of prog langs text (also making the collection work on r301.5 from svn)

From: Greg Woodhouse (gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue Feb 7 17:54:10 EST 2006

The theory behind media (MIME) types is that they should be used to
identify the resource type, not the file extension. So, in principle,
if you have a URL like

http://wherever.org/some-html.txt

and some-html.txt is actually, HTML, then if the media type in the HTTP
header is text/html, then the client (browser) knows that it is HTML
and presents it accordingly.

I've never run into the problem you describe with .plt files, and it
may be that I never installed the CAD application, but I would expect
that metadata associated with the file would indicate that it's not an
image.

I had thought a generic media type like application/octet-stream would
be nice because it would at least allow downloading the file with a
single click. In fact, that's the behavior I expected, not having the
installer launch automatically. (This was under Windows, but even on my
PowerBook, clicking on the .plt files automatically launches the installer.)

===
Gregory Woodhouse  <gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net>
"All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as
being self-evident."
--Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted on the users mailing list.