[plt-scheme] Why is the PLaneT cache per-user?

From: Gregory Woodhouse (gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun Feb 5 00:00:32 EST 2006

On Feb 4, 2006, at 8:26 PM, Jacob Matthews wrote:

> Well, I didn't think of it in such a sinister light, but that's
> basically it. When a normal user requires something from planet,
> there's got to be somewhere to put the file. It's reasonable to
> assume that a user can write into his/her own space, but it's not
> reasonable to assume that same user can write to the place where
> PLT Scheme is installed. (Actually IIRC the very first
> implementation was per-installation, but this issue pretty much
> made it useless until I changed it to behave in roughly the way it
> behaves now.)
>
> -jacob

On a Unix system (including OS X), you could create a plt group and
make the program itself setgid. I don't know if it would really be
worth the trouble, though, except maybe on a system with a number of
different users. Anyway, just a thought from someone else who isn't s
PLaneT developer.

===
Gregory Woodhouse
gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net

"All truth passes through three stages: First, it is
ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third,
it is accepted as being self-evident."
--Arthur Schopenhaur

Posted on the users mailing list.