[plt-scheme] Why is the PLaneT cache per-user?

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 4 22:46:37 EST 2006

On 2/4/06, Doug Orleans <dougorleans at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps this is a silly question, but...
>
> Why are PLaneT files cached per user rather than per PLT installation?
> If multiple users require the same PLaneT package, why not share the files?

I'm not a PLaneT implementer, so I don't know for sure.  But I would
guess it's all about permissions.  Unless DrScheme were to always run
as a superuser, the only way for PLaneT caches to be shared is if they
were all globally writable.  That would be a big security hole: code
everyone uses, which anyone can write to, would be very easy to
sabotage.

--
Carl Eastlund
"Cynical, but technically correct."