[plt-scheme] Why multiple values?

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 24 16:49:24 EST 2006

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006, gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> Hmm...I've always done this sort of thing by returning lists, as in
> (list (car x) (cdr x)). I suppose that could mean consing up a bunch of
> lists that aren't really needed.

Hi Gregory,

By the way, although it might seem slightly tangent, there was a really
good paper by Julia L. Lawall and Dan Friedman that talked about the
merits of continuation-passing style.  Some of the insights behind that
paper also reiterate why being able to return many values can be a good
thing.  Let me see... the paper's name was "Toward Leakage Containment":

     http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/4469.html

It was one of the papers that Shriram mentioned as being beautiful in:

     http://www.cs.utah.edu/plt/mailarch/plt-scheme-2002/msg00067.html

Best of wishes!

Posted on the users mailing list.