[plt-scheme] Lazy Scheme and continuations

From: Gregory Woodhouse (gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net)
Date: Sun Dec 17 14:18:11 EST 2006

On Dec 17, 2006, at 10:46 AM, Eli Barzilay wrote:

> ng by default, with some sane treatment
> of some features like `begin'.  I didn't even think of the effects of
> using continuations in the lazy language...)

That's why I used the word "whimsical". By way of background, I was
just thinking about how you could even define continuations without
using some sort of environment based evaluation scheme. I know SICP
re-implements force and delay in the section on lazy evaluation, but
couldn't you write an interpreter that doesn't use environments at
all, but just does normal order reduction? I would think so, but
what, then, could call/cc possibly mean? I imagine some kind of
combinator vaguely analogous to Y, but I'm not quite sure how it
would work -- or whether this is all just nonsense.

Gregory Woodhouse
gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net

"If everything seems under control,
you're just not going fast enough."