[plt-scheme] ring my chimes

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Dec 12 15:13:39 EST 2006

On Dec 12, michael rice wrote:
> Thanks for all the help.
>
> I'm sure there are excellent reasons for putting the
> bell ringing code at
>
> (require (lib "mred.ss" "mred"))
>
> BUT, (imho) making a sound to alert the user that
> something is amiss is so basic that one would think it
> would be available no matter what language package has
> been selected.

Ringing the bell is a GUI functionality...  On some OSs[*] you can
just (fprintf (current-error-port) "\a") if you want that from a plain
console.

([*] That requires an actual console somewhere that will beep.  If
you're on Linux, it gets trickier every minute to actually have a
working beep.  #&^@!& GUI.)