[plt-scheme] [Mred] - syntax coloring in editor canvas

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 7 10:53:26 EST 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 9:03 AM, jack jack wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i'm trying to make automatic syntax coloring of editor-canvas%'s
> content.

Do you know that we already have a library that does that? It is
based on Scott Owen's parser generators. See color:text% in Help Desk.

> For testing,  i made changes manually, then entered text in the
> editor.
>
> like this:
> "entered text into editor"
>> (define style-delta (make-object style-delta% 'change-weight 'bold))
>> (send text1 change-style (send style-delta2 set-delta-foreground
>> "navy"))
> "entered text into editor"
>
> That works but since yet i don't know how to change the style from
> an existing text.

change-style takes two more arguments that specify a range in the
editor. use those to change existing text.

> i saw methods which changes colors but wasn't able to make them
> work at all, because the way i meant it is: using regexp-match to
> look for the keyword each time the user type text into the edit
> canvas (when i get an on-char event i call for the coloring
> function, on the line or the entire editor canvas content)

You probably want after-insert and after-delete, rather than on-char.

> Since regexp returns a list containing the matched string(s), what
> do i need to do now?

use regexp-match-positions

> Perhaps getting the start & end offset and change the color using a
> method which is called like change color from start offset until
> stop offset??? (how to?)
>
> Or is there another, much easier, way doing it?

Just the library that's already there. :)