[plt-scheme] alternative web server?

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 23 08:51:22 EDT 2006

> I've some Python experience, where the web development is somewhat more
> matured and stabilized. They have WSGI [1], a standard interface for web
> application. You can write to that interface and then put
> SimpleHTTPServer (included in std lib), mod_python, *cgi, ... before
> that.

This comparison is very unfair.

WSGI gives you a uniform way of structuring Web applications for N
different platforms poorly.  PLT Scheme's Web server gives you one way
of structuring Web applications well.

So the problem is not maturity or stability, it's that we have spent
our effort doing important and useful things that happen to be
different from the ones you're looking for.  If you were willing to
employ continuation-based Web programming (you haven't actually told
us why you *don't* want to), you'd be happy here.

Of course, you may have several reasons for not wanting to program
with with SEND/SUSPEND, and I would respect many of them.  I just
don't think that is grounds for saying we aren't "mature" or "stable".

> This is not necessarily the One True Way, but i think the Python
> community has already worked some things out very well.

And we've worked other things out equally well.  Come on board and
find out!

Cheers,
Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.