[plt-scheme] Version Check

From: Jaime Vargas (jev at mac.com)
Date: Thu Apr 27 17:41:39 EDT 2006

On Apr 27, 2006, at 5:21 PM, Anton van Straaten wrote:

> Eli Barzilay wrote:

>>> Any solution that does not involve explicit permission from the user
>>> prior to making a connection is unacceptable.  If you don't
>>> understand that, you're not listening to the objections that are
>>> being made.
>>>
>> Any solution that involves explicit permission from the user, will
>> not
>> get this permission from users who need to, thereby fail to do its
>> job.  If you don't accept that, you're not helping in finding a
>> solution.
>>

> "Users who need to" to according to who?  You have done nothing to
> demonstrate nor establish this need from the user's perspective.
> You're attempting to solve a problem that many of your users
> clearly do not perceive.

Humm. I will disagree, I recently got into PLT and use it in OSX, in
this platform most of the programs have an auto-update feature. I
search for this feature when I saw an announcement about 301.13, so I
said lets check out the latest version, and I was surprise when I
couln't find the auto-update feature. Who knew that it was buried in
a preferences option.  So instead I need to navigate the website and
find my way to the latest and greatest, not that it is difficult, but
just accepting a newer update would have been a lot easier.

I think it will be nice to have this option not only let you check-
out the latest stable version, but also the cutting edge ones.

-- Jaime

Posted on the users mailing list.