[plt-scheme] Last year students...

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Fri Apr 21 10:26:55 EDT 2006

Paulo J. Matos wrote:

> Well, I was a bit shocked... not really due to the fact that they have
> not programmed in Scheme except as a first programming language but
> that software engineering students were not involved in
> extra-curricular projects outside college and they were not even
> interested to get involved.

Consider the following factors:

1. They didn't learn enough in first year via HtDP to be able to use
Scheme for real projects, and they may not be aware of its potential. (I
know, it only takes a little imagination, but...) Here's where a
complete and up-to-date HtUS would help. One of my goals for next year
is to give those of my students who can handle it some sense of file
I/O, available libraries and extensions, the FFI, and compilation to C,
so that they can go on with Scheme if they wish.

2. We often overload them with makework in their courses, so that they
would rather do something else in their precious spare time, like read
books or go clubbing.

3. There needs to be a culture of senior students forming small groups
to learn things for themselves and get involved in projects. We have
some of that where I teach, but not enough. There is more emphasis on
programming contests, which from my point of view are counterproductive.

--PR

Posted on the users mailing list.