[plt-scheme] support for sound or interfaces to sound software

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Wed Apr 19 14:33:15 EDT 2006

On Apr 19, 2006, at 5:03 AM, James Jackson wrote:

> I've been playing around for a little while with music
> composition/synthesis using mzscheme.  The solution I
> came up with was to have the programs produce .wav
> files which you can then play using whatever
> sound-playing program you have installed.
>
> Contact me if you'd like to see some example code.

To add just a bit to this: DrScheme does support a play-sound (sp?)
call, which essentially calls the appropriate player for the
platform.  Under OS X (the platform the original poster described),
play-sound works just fine on a variety of different sound files.

Also, in order to read and write sound files, DrScheme's foreign
function library can interact with sound-reading & -writing libraries
(e.g. the libsndfile library).  In fact, I believe this is one of the
'examples' that comes with the ffi package.

In other words, the support for this (reading/writing sound files,
playing sound files) is all already built in to drscheme.

John Clements