[plt-scheme] ( for [

From: Guillaume Marceau (gmarceau at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 11 01:09:18 EDT 2006

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 23:42:05 -0400 (EDT)
Nicholas Chubrich <chubrich at cs.brandeis.edu> wrote:

> I know that PLT can accept brackets instead of parentheses.  But I
> would prefer not to have to type parentheses at all (the key
> combination is bad for RSI), but at the same time I'd rather not have
> all my code have only brackets.

DivaScheme is an entirely unchorded set of key bindings for DrScheme,
including unchorded parens. It is based on a VI-style modal interface.

  http://www.cs.brown.edu/research/plt/software/divascheme/

DivaScheme provide automatic templates for common Scheme forms,
which saves the typing of many parens. DivaScheme also has identifier
auto-completion, like Emacs' ALT-/ key.

  http://www.cs.brown.edu/~gmarceau/files/divascheme-cheatsheet.pdf

I have severe RSI. DivaScheme boosts the amount of time I can spend
coding in Scheme from 30 seconds to about 5 minutes. I know it's
not much, but it's a world of difference to me.

DivaScheme can be hard to learn (it is VI-inspired, after all!). I am
the only fluid user (that I know of), and Danny Yoo is learning it. I
would love to hear your feedback, should you decide to try it.

--
Pataphor:

   1. An extended metaphor that creates its own context.
   2. That which occurs when a lizard's tail has grown so long
      it breaks off and grows a new lizard.