[plt-scheme] indexing .ss files in (Macintosh) Spotlight.

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 10 19:59:02 EDT 2006

> On Apr 8, 2006, at 12:55, Robby Findler wrote:
>> Is it not possible for DrScheme to put something somewhere in a plist
>> file that says "use the text thingy for searching in .ss and .scm
>> files"? Perhaps next to the place where it says ".ss and .scm files are
>> opened by me"?
>
> I think that's essentially what happens, except you also have to run a
> program that reindexes your hard disk, which can take an hour or more,
> so you do it while shopping, eating or sleeping.  If that happened to
> new users and they weren't expecting it, it might be unpopular.  If
> someone writes a plugin for Spotlight, it's a separate download, but the
> user has a little more control, and if anyone asks why, the answer is:
> contact Apple.

Just checking on this: what would be ideal for Spotlight to pay attention
to?  Everything, or just defined names, or provides, or ...? I'm curious
because integration with Spotlight might just be a matter of dipping into
something like Guillaume's etags.ss:

     http://www.cs.brown.edu/~gmarceau/etags.ss

With a thin wrapper to talk properly to Spotlight, this might provide for
some nice context-sensitive searching.

Posted on the users mailing list.