[plt-scheme] embedded web server vs Apache [WAS: browser]

From: Hendrik Boom (hendrik at pooq.com)
Date: Tue Sep 27 10:56:16 EDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 03:59:57PM +0200, Jens Axel S?gaard wrote:
> Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >I installed drscheme today from the stable/sarge Debian package.
> >Of course it also included mzscheme as a dependency.
> >
> >While installing, I was surprised to have the installation script
> >offer to install a web browser for me.  I declined, since I
> >already have apache running on this system, serving me a local copy of
> >the Linux documentation pages.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the Debian installer is
> the official PLT installer. At least I can't recall ever seeing that
> question during installations with the official install program.

That's OK.  The Debian installer is the official installer for Debian
systems.  It does a very god job of keeping track of what's installed
in my entire system, and a good job of thoroughly uninstalling things
when necessary.

> Fetch the official version from:
>
>     <http://download.plt-scheme.org/drscheme/>
>
> >But ever since I've been wondering -- does the Scheme embedded web
> >browser play nicely with Apache?  or with the HTML files set up to
> >be served by Apache?  Can I run this one as well as Apache?  If so,
> >how to they apportion the incoming http requests?
>
> One usually put the two web-servers on different ports, say Apache
> on port 80 and the PLT web-server on port 8080. It is then possible
> to let Apache "forward" pages from the PLT web-server for
> selected names.
>
> For details check:
>
> <http://list.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2004-August/006471.html>
> <http://www.codecomments.com/Scheme/message587634.html>
> <http://www.deinprogramm.de/material/servlets-apache.html>
>
> (the last one is in German)

Thanks.  I think this is the information I needed.

-- hendrik

Posted on the users mailing list.