[plt-scheme] PLaneT and beta releases

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryan_sml at yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 21 16:52:56 EDT 2005

--- Jacob Matthews <jacobm at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Ryan Culpepper wrote:
>
> >I generally just create a symlink in the planet cache that points
> >into my CVS or Subversion working copy. It breaks PLaneT
> >abstractions, but It Works (TM) perfectly for me.
> >[...]
> >Perhaps PLaneT could adopt and formalize this practice by having
> >some sort of virtual host/directory/link table, rather than
relying on
> >symlinks (so Windows uers don't get left out).
> >

> I was thinking along pretty much the same lines.
>
> Proposal: I provide a new environment variable (and associated
> configuration parameter) that allows you to list any number of your
> own directories, and planet looks in those for paths of the form
> $person/$package.plt/$maj/$min for packages in addition to looking
> in the real cache. So, if you're developing two packages
> simultaneously, you can create a directory "mypackages" like:
>
> /home/me/mypackages/me/package1/1/2/ ... [your code for package1
here]
> /home/me/mypackages/me/package2/4/8/ ... [your code for package2
here]

I have two problems with this proposal. First, environment variables
and parameters are both difficult to get set when using DrScheme
launched from MacOS X, Windows, etc. Second, I want a single
development directory for "package1"; I don't want to have the /1/2
or /4/8 bits in my working copy path.

I'd prefer something like the following:

planet --add-package-location /home/me/bluepackages/package1 ryanc
package1 1 2
planet --add-package-location /home/me/redpackages/STRANGE ryanc
package2 4 8

This should create a persistent mapping in a cache-local table. It
shouldn't rely on any similarity between *any* of the planet
information (user name, package name, or version numbers) and the
filesystem path components. Finally, it doesn't try to interpret
other subdirectories of bluepackages or redpackages as PLaneT
packages.

Otherwise, I'd probably just stick to symlinks.

Ryan