[plt-scheme] MD5 in v299.400

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 21 09:51:33 EDT 2005

At Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:45:23 -0400, David Richards wrote:
> Yes, thanks.  I understand that will work.  But again, why is the
> source code in collects/mzlib/md5.ss, which clearly requires strings,
> actually evaluating to a procedure that requires byte-strings?

The code uses byte strings. There is a confusing call to a
`string->bytes' function in

   (define (md5-computation str)
     .... (string->bytes str) ....)

But `string->bytes' is actually bound to `bytes->list' earlier in the
module. (This was probably sloppy porting on my part.)

So the MzLib "md5.ss" code really does work on byte strings, not
character strings.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.