[plt-scheme] graphs / shared / memory!!

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 20 19:15:13 EDT 2005

On Oct 20, 2005, at 7:10 PM, Yoav Goldberg wrote:

>> Have you actually measured the memory consumption disadvantaged before
>> you jump to this conclusion?
>
> What's the best way to measure a mzscheme program memory consumption
> (other than looking at the task-manager)?

I would use Goldberg's gc technology i.e. mzscheme3m/drscheme3m .
We don't have tools like Bee/Bigloo but at least it is possible to
measure memory consumption. David?

>> Sure, you may up front for the repeated patterns. But if your program
>> is strict up to this pattern, you will create that many closures. They
>> consume space.
> But won't they get freed shortly after?

:-) I am free ... This kind of thing requires actual measurements. That
is where CS is truly an empirical science, and I will be first to admit
that beyond that I have no clue.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.