[plt-scheme] code organization question

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 17 23:25:36 EDT 2005

On Oct 16, 2005, at 7:23 PM, Yoav Goldberg wrote:

> 1/ some kind of a wrapper macro:
> (with-constructors ((pitch: make-pitch) (duration:
> make-duration-from-wholes))
>      ;; sound making code
> )
>
> 2/ making the various constructors parameters, and make the user set
> them (or use parameterize) after he "require"s sound.
>
> 3/ making sound a unit
>
> I think (1) is a rather lousy option, and tend toward one of the other
> 2.
> Which do you think is better? Or do you see any option which is better
> altogether?

Your problem suggests the above three solutions plus the parser
solution. I assume you have considered it and discarded it. You may
even be thinking that parsing is close to 1).

1. Your problem is one that comes up time and again. Let me ask the
following:

Will your 'clients' (users are drug users, right? :) of the sound
module instantiate it several times within the __same__ program? In
other words, is your 'module' parameterized over pitch and duration? If
so, you are probably best off using units because this is precisely
what we created them for.

If these various 'instantiations' do not co-exist, you may still use
units if there is a lot of mutually recursive linking going on.

2. If the linking is really just concerned with the two constructors, I
recommend using a higher-order linking protocol with modules. Export a
function from your module that consumes the pitch and duration params
and creates the functions that make-sound needs. Of course you are also
exporting the latter but you won't call it until you have called the
former.

3. You can avoid some of the syntactic overhead with macros in this
second approach.

The unit system is indeed in flux but it is not clear when we will
provide a solution and how compatible it will be with the old one. The
concepts will be the same and you will benefit from having understood
the current implementation. But having said that, we have had two
rounds of discussions internally yet to this day, all we know is that
it is in flux.

Scott Owens (Utah) is working on this problem under the guidance of
Matthew with some input from Ryan Culpepper, who is working with me at
Northeastern. A first hint at what this might look like is in their
paper at this year's GPCE workshop in Tallinn.

> Also, if you think I'm "getting it all wrong", and you can think of a
> totally different design, please let me know as well.

I don't think you are getting it all wrong. I do thank you for the
tolerance with which you received all the non-solicited advice on other
music systems :-)

Hope this helps -- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.