[plt-scheme] Servlet2 and standalone.ss

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 13 19:25:24 EDT 2005

At Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:30:36 -0400, Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:
> >    1. Are you using HTDP
> >      yes -> Choose one of the teaching langauge
> >    2. Are you following another book
> >        yes -> SICP, TAPL, etc.
> >    3. Recommend "Pretty Big Scheme"
>
> This is a REALLY GOOD IDEA.  After the (human)
> language choice, present the following:
>
> If you are using DrScheme in conjunction with a textbook,
> please select it below:
>
> - HTDP
> - Fixnum
> - SICP
> - EOPL
> - PLAI

Suppose that there were only two languages in the universe, so the
initial dialog asks the user to choose between the following:

 * HtDP - yes, I'm reading HtDP
 * R5RS - no, I'm not reading HtDP

Even in this alternate reality, I'm certain that we would still either
have students using the wrong language, or people who accidentally use
R5RS (depending on the default, or on order of the choices). Since we
we'll insist on keeping things simple for HtDP students --- and rightly
so --- SICP readers will remains as stuck as ever.

George is closer to the right track, IMO. If we're going to improve,
it's time to look at forensic solutions.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.