[plt-scheme] Testing a pointer for null (FFI)

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 2 06:07:21 EDT 2005

Hi all,

How does one test a pointer for null using the foreign
library?  In this situation I malloc the pointer (a
_pointer if that matters) and pass it to a library function
(SQLite) which initialises it.  Sometimes an error occurs
and the pointer gets set to null.

I've printed out the following:

 the pointer: #<cpointer>
 (ptr-equal? the-pointer #f): #f
 (ptr-ref the-pointer _int): 0

Now I could convert the pointer to an integer and compare
to zero, but this seems very hacky.  Surely there is a
better way?

BTW, the library I'm using is Jay's SQLite bindings.  I'm
passing an empty string to prepare.  SQLite doesn't signal
an error (though it should -- if you try to use the
statement it does raise an error).  [Jay: don't bother
updating your copy; I've made many changes and will send an
updated version your way once I've finished.]

Thanks,
Noel

AIM: noelhwelsh
Blogs: http://monospaced.blogspot.com/  http://www.untyped.com/untyping/