[plt-scheme] keywords (a backward-incompatible change)

From: Alex Shinn (foof at synthcode.com)
Date: Sat Oct 1 23:49:17 EDT 2005

At Sat, 1 Oct 2005 09:53:04 -0400, Eli Barzilay wrote:

> And in these discussions, prefix is said to have the advantage of
> being visually similar to a quote.

I would consider this a disadvantage, because the prefix quote has
nothing to do with quote - it's a new literal value.  It has very
different semantics from quoting.

> (BTW, if it wasn't clear from
> Matthew's message, the actual use of keywords for arguments is an
> orthogonal issue that will be left for a library (or libraries), there
> is no requirement for using them only for keyword-value pairs...)

True, but the motivation and primary use of keywords will be in
argument lists, so it's important to discuss them.

> (BTW#2, it seems that prefix is a little more popular.)

As I said, I haven't checked recently, but I know at least Bigloo,
Chicken and Gambit use suffix, so PLT would not be going for or
against any semi-standard by adopting colon-suffix keywords.

--
Alex