[plt-scheme] Interaction between Dr. Scheme and foreign libraries

From: Ittai Balaban (balaban at cs.nyu.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 20 22:09:22 EST 2005

Hi.

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 18:58 -0600, Robby Findler wrote:
> 1) if your state is OS-level state that can only be initialized once
> per process, do something like what mred does when creating a
> connection to the OS's GUI subsystem. It creates the reference once and
> uses it multiple times and then is careful that multiple Scheme threads
> (etc) access that shared state in a safe manner.

I should clarify that I am not writing an extension. All I have is a
scheme module that uses FFI to talk to an external library. Given that
DrScheme likes to reload my module on every 'run', I don't see how such
once-created references could persist between reloads.

> 2) if your state can safely be re-initialized, then read about
> custodians in the mzscheme manuals (probably you want the insidemz

This is not the case (but sounds interesting anyway).

> In either case, it sounds like your extension is not properly set up to
> deal with mzscheme's custodians.

As mentioned, this is not an extension I'm dealing with. Thanks, though,
for the information.

--
Ittai