[plt-scheme] A literary metaphor for Scheme

From: jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr (jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr)
Date: Sun Nov 6 19:39:40 EST 2005

Matthias Felleisen writes:

> On Nov 6, 2005, at 6:36 PM, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:

>> If Scheme were a literary figure, who would it be?

> I don't know about Scheme but I do know about myself and possibly others
> who are spreading the work:
>
> -- Sisyphus, ...
> -- Wilhelm Tell, shooting arrows at the apple on his son's head (well,
> sometimes I think I am the son)
>
> -- Pyrrhus, ...
> -- Don Quixote, as many of you know from my home page
> -- Götz von Berlichingen, a Goethe character of the 30-year war and is
> extremely well-known in Germany.

Now, Mathias, I would disagree. Scheme is FUN.
Personages you mention are not so joyful.

BTW. the old von Berlichingen was a true person, as you know well. Let's
forget that a SS division was named after him, since he wouldn't agree to
this, nor to the usage of his prosthetic iron hand as its symbol.

BTW, does Scheme have an Iron Hand somewhere?...

If you look for such personages, not "entirely peaceful" to say it mildly,
why not Robin Hood, Till Eulenspiegel, or another real person who became a
literary myth: Cyrano de Bergerac?

Jerzy Karczmarczuk

Posted on the users mailing list.