[plt-scheme] Bignums in Scheme

From: Chongkai Zhu (mathematica at citiz.net)
Date: Wed Jun 22 04:23:54 EDT 2005

======= At 2005-06-22, 15:42:01 karczma wrote: =======

>Do you claim that there is really somewhere a Scheme implementation
>based on the modular representation??
>Never heard about.
>We are NOT speaking about theory, this is well known, but about practical
>realisations, with some experience concerning the efficiency.
>
>As far as I know, the sources bignum.c of MzScheme are based on GMP.
>They implement Karatsuba, but no modular stuff (nor Sch?nhage-Strassen,
>nor other exotics...)
>
>For practical purposes the modular, "Chines" method has some inconveniences,
>the conversions are clumsy, the (<,>) relations are costly, etc. So, it
>lost somehow a good part of its sex appeal...
>
>Jerzy Karczmarczuk

I know that all Scheme implementations are based on GMP or similar. I
mention modular approach just because the original question from Marco
Morazan mentions "articles/documents" and "performance studies". It
seems that he want to do a comprehensive study.

-
Chongkai Zhu

Posted on the users mailing list.