[plt-scheme] The Stepper

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 14 16:12:19 EDT 2005

I've been kvetching from time to time for a couple of years that
DrScheme's Stepper only applies to the Definitions window; there's no
way to single-step an expression you've typed in the Interactions
window.  It feels much more natural to me for "single-stepping" to be
a mode, orthogonal to the question of whether you're executing a
batch of expressions in the definitions window or a single expression
in the interactions window.  So Saturday night after the TeachScheme!
workshop, I started writing up a possible specification (state
diagrams and all that) for how I think the GUI should behave with
respect to single-stepping.

So here's my question.  Is the Stepper about to be replaced by
something rich and strange, perhaps based on MzTake?  If so, is it a
waste of my time to specify how I think the Stepper should behave?  (
I suspect that even if the Stepper is replaced, it'll still need a
beginner-friendly interface with some resemblance to the current
Stepper, and that should probably be independent of which window
you're executing from.)
--
                                      Stephen Bloch
                                   Math/CS Department