[plt-scheme] Idiomatic equivalent to exn:application in v299?

From: Richard Cobbe (cobbe at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 6 16:59:09 EST 2005

<sigh>

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on a mailing list?
        -- .sig, Julien Salort <lists at juliensalort.org>

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 03:34:47PM -0500, Sam TH wrote:

> I think what you're looking for is raise-mismatch-error, which has the
> same contract that make-exn:application:mismatch had.
>

> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 13:47:51 -0500, Richard Cobbe <cobbe at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> >   For list-related administrative tasks:
> >
> > Greetings, all.
> >
> > I'm in the process of porting some old libraries from 208 to 299, and
> > I'm struggling a little bit with the new exception hierarchy.
> >
> > Here's an example: I've got a library for implementing standard rib-cage
> > environments.  In the old version, the lookup function would raise an
> > exn:application:mismatch exception if the requested identifier is not
> > bound, and I'd put the unbound identifier into the exception's value
> > field.  (This follows hash-table-get's interface.)
> >
> > What's the idiomatic equivalent under v299?  It appears from the docs
> > that the exn:fail:contract exception is the replacement for
> > exn:application:mismatch, but there's no value field.  Is there a
> > standard equivalent?  I'd really prefer not to marshal the value into
> > the message string, as the new hash-table-get does.

Well, raise-mismatch-error saves me from having to marshal the bogus
value into the error string manually, but I still end up with (some
representation of) the bogus value in the error string.  I'm still not
wild about this.  I've used too many badly-designed libraries that
expect my code to parse some random error string in order to be able to
determine the error condition so I can take appropriate action.

Richard

Posted on the users mailing list.