[plt-scheme] OS version?

From: Jepri (jepri at babylon.alphacomplex.org)
Date: Sat Dec 10 18:16:56 EST 2005

Eli Barzilay wrote:

>> > "testing/unstable" in [/etc/debian_version].
>>
>>I'm no expert, but isn't that because the current Debian stable
>>release, and older releases, are the only ones with version numbers?
>>I also have "testing/unstable" in my /etc/debian_release on an
>>official Debian AMD64 setup (i.e. not Ubuntu).  Of course,
>>"testing/unstable" could mean just about anything, depending on when
>>the OS was last updated.
>>

> > Actually, the problem came up with a newer Ubuntu that has
>

>(I'm pretty lost when it gets to such Debian technicalities...)

Debian's testing and unstable are pre-release teasers.  unstable is the
collection of the very newest packages, and testing is the collection of
packages being considered for the new release.  At some point they
freeze testing and call it a new release, that's when it gets a number.
People install the pre-release collections at their own peril.  It has
happened that people running unstable been locked out of their machine
due to package issues.  So if you see testing/unstable you can assume
the user is living on the edge.  Configure any way you feel like - the
user should be able to work out the details.

If you're interested I could build some debian packages and we could
submit them to debian.  I notice MzScheme is in Debian, but DrScheme isn't.

Posted on the users mailing list.