[plt-scheme] Latin 1 and bytes-open-convert

From: Jens Axel Søgaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Mon Aug 1 17:29:12 EDT 2005

Porting some code from PLT 208 to 299 I have run into problems
with data files containing danish letters encoded in Latin-1.
In the output files of the program all the danish letters
show up as a question mark.

After some head scratching I found bytes-open-convert in the
manual. It requires iconv.dll or libiconv.dll to work. Since
these come files from the GNU libiconv project, why not put
them in the binary distribution? A list of the most common
names of encodings would also be convenient to have in the
manual.

Btw - in stead of inserting bytes-open-convert here and
there in the program; I ended up converting all my
Latin1 data files to UTF-8 with

<http://download.plt-scheme.org/doc/299.100/html/mzscheme/mzscheme-Z-H-3.html#node_sec_3.6>
<http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/>

--