[plt-scheme] Dynamic loading of multiple mzscheme modules on hpux built with SWIG

From: Bradd W. Szonye (bradd+plt at szonye.com)
Date: Sun Apr 10 15:05:20 EDT 2005

Tim Brown wrote:
> A few points:
>
> 1. I am not HP's ambassador to PLT Scheme; I'm just trying to build
>    a working version. That's all :-) [and more about that later].
>
> 2. Bearing in mind that I have no authoritative position on this,
>    I suspect that HP/UX 9 is obsolete. It dates back to the early 1990's
>    (the latest disks I have are 1995) and in 1996 I was receiving
>    10.10 disks. [This based on an analysis of a dusty CD cabinet].
>
>    I cannot see that HP would have Y2K certified 9 (they didn't even
>    certify our HP720 workstation, in fact), and suspect that even if
>    folk hadn't upgraded to 10 when it was released they would have put
>    10 (or 11) on for 1/1/2000.
>
> 3. I don't know if 10 uses dlopen(), but there were many changes to
>    HP/UX to bring it into line with what most other UNIXes used (ah...
>    I remember, including ELF).

I work at HP, and I've been meaning to look this up for you, but I
haven't had time. You can find most of the information you need at
<http://docs.hp.com/>. I just did a cursory search for dlopen(3C), and
it looks like it was introduced in HP-UX 11.0; I couldn't find any
reference to it in the 10.x docs.

I think HP still supports HP-UX 10.x, at least for folks with service
level agreements, but don't take my word for it. As an engineer, I'm
somewhat out of touch with "real world" dates, availability, and even
product names. Like many big development houses, HP plans stuff years in
advance, and often it's hard for internal developers to keep track of
what's really out there. (My wife tells me that it's the same way in the
automotive and medical industries.)

If I get a chance, I'll ask around at work and see if I can pin down
more concrete answers for you.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd