[plt-scheme] Development Cycle

From: Doug Orleans (dougo at place.org)
Date: Mon Apr 4 12:11:01 EDT 2005

Arend P. van der Veen writes:
 > I'm trying to figure out how to best use mzscheme in my development
 > environment - here is what I currently do:
 >
 > 1. Edit files in emacs
 >
 > 2. Place files in modules in my-collection
 >
 > 3. mzc --collection-zos my-collection
 >
 > 4. setup-plt --mode errortrace -l my-collection
 >
 > 5. Run program in emacs compile buffer
 >
 > 6. View error messages
 >
 > 7. Go to 1.
 >
 > This process is not very pleasant because:
 > - step 4 is very time consuming
 > - the system runs extremely slowly if I run step 4.
 > - omitting step 4 leaves me without an errortrace and makes debugging
 >    quite challenging
 >
 > I'm wondering if there is a way to get a more efficient development
 > cycle?

First of all, do you even need to run the compiler at all?  You can
get errortrace just by putting this in your ~/.mzschemerc file:

(require (lib "errortrace.ss" "errortrace"))

Then just run mzscheme and it will compile everything (with error
tracing) on load.  Alternatively, you could use "mzscheme -M errortrace".

I recently started using the compilation-manager stuff so that it only
compiles when dependencies change, by putting this in my
~/.mzschemerc:

(require (lib "cm.ss"))
(current-load/use-compiled (make-compilation-manager-load/use-compiled-handler))
(manager-compile-notify-handler
  (lambda (file)
    (printf "Compiling ~a.~%" file)))

Maybe I'm missing something about what your 7-step process is trying
to do?

--dougo at place.org

Posted on the users mailing list.